Fire Protection of Structural Steel in High-Rise Buildings
Credit: 10 PDH Hours
Course Fee: $60.00
How it Work!
- Register first and log into your account. Study and take the quiz for FREE until passed.
- After passing the quiz, follow the page, pay for the course and print your certificate.
The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) develops and promotes measurement, standards, and technology to enhance productivity, facilitate trade, and improve quality of life. In the aftermath of the attacks of September 11, 2001, NIST has taken a key role in enhancing the nation’s homeland security.
This course provides an overview of the state-of-the-art in fire protection technologies for structural steel. An overview of the field of fire protection technologies, including a discussion of which technologies are commonly used today, how they work, their advantages and disadvantages, and some of their primary applications are presented.
Leading technologies are also discussed with regard to the newest technologies available on the market today, their use, limitations, and barriers to their increased implementation.
This course summarizes activities, conclusions and recommendations of the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) sponsored study on fire protection of structural steel in high-rise buildings. The objectives of this course were four-fold, namely:
- Scan for existing, new and potential materials, systems and technologies for fire protection of structural steel.
- Define what performance is really needed from structural steel in high rise buildings; what protection systems for the steel will be required under multiple hazard scenarios, including fire; what performance requirements we must demand of those protection systems, particularly in defense against fire.
- Define how testing is/should be structured (parameters for test samples, test beds and test protocols) in order to reliably predict the performance of materials, systems and technologies in full scale application, given these performance requirements,
- Frame findings in the context of the marketplace and realistic price/demand considerations.
Review the quiz
before studying the course.
Certificate of completion of the course
This course comes with a multiple-choice quiz. You can view the quiz and take the quiz if you are logged in your account. You can take the quiz for this online PDH course as many times until passed. The passing grade is 70% and above. After you pass the quiz simply follow the page, to pay for the course and print your certificate instantly. A copy of the certificate and receipt for this course will always be in your account.
Acrobat Reader is required to view this document. Click here to download a free copy of Acrobat Reader.
This online PDH course can also be used as a continuing education course for the following.