Improving Process Heating System Performance
Credit: 11 PDH or CE Hours
Course Fee: $66.00
This course provides process heating system stakeholders with a reference describing basic process heating processes and equipment, and outlines opportunities for energy and performance improvements. The course also discusses the merits of using a systems approach in identifying and implementing these improvement opportunities. It is not intended to be a comprehensive technical text on improving process heating systems, but serves as a document that raises awareness of potential performance improvement opportunities, provides practical guidelines, and offers suggestions on where to find additional help. The course consists of the following sections:
Section 1: Process Heating System Basics
For users unfamiliar with the basics of process heating systems, or for users seeking a refresher, a brief discussion of the equipment, processes, and applications is provided.
This section discusses key factors for improving the performance of process heating systems.
Section 3: Best Practices Process Heating Performance Improvement Tools
This section describes several resources and tools developed through the best practices initiative within DOE’s Industrial Technologies Program.
Section 4: Process Heating System Economics
To support the improvement opportunities presented in Section 2, this section provides recommendations to justify process heating improvement projects using economic reasoning.
Section 5: Where to Find Help
In addition to a comprehensive listing of resources and tools, this section contains a directory of associations and other organizations engaged in enhancing process heating system efficiency.
- Process Heating System Basics
- Systems Approach
- Components of a Typical Process Heating System
- Common Types of Process Heating Systems and Equipment
- Process Heating Equipment Classification
- Process Heating Energy Sources
- Basic Process Heating Operations
- Performance Improvement Opportunities
- Heat Generation
- Heat Transfer
- Heat Containment
- Heat Recovery
- Enabling Technologies
- Best Practices Process Heating Performance Improvement Tools
- Process Heating Assessment and Survey Tool (PHAST)
- NOx Emission Assessment Tool (NxEAT)
- The Combined Heat and Power (CHP) System Application Toolfor the Process Heating Industry
- Process Heating Systems Economics
- Understanding Corporate Priorities
- Measuring the Dollar Impact of Efficiency
- Presenting the Finance of Efficiency
- Relating Efficiency to Corporate Priorities
- Call to Action
- Where to Find Help
- The Industrial Technologies Program and Best Practices
- Directory of Contacts
- Industrial Heating Equipment Association (IHEA)
- Other Process Heating System Contacts
- Resources and Tools
US Department of Energy
Review the quiz
before studying the course.
Certificate of completion of the course
This course comes with a multiple-choice quiz. You can view the quiz and take the quiz if you are logged in your account. You can take the quiz for this online PDH course as many times until passed. The passing grade is 70% and above. After you pass the quiz simply follow the page, to pay for the course and print your certificate instantly. A copy of the certificate and receipt for this course will always be in your account.
Acrobat Reader is required to view this document. Click here to download a free copy of Acrobat Reader.