Soils and Geology Procedures for Foundation Design of Buildings and Other Structures
Credit: 20 PDH or CE Hours
Course Fee: $120.00
This course presents guidance for selecting and designing foundations and associated features for buildings, retaining structures, and machinery. Foundations for hydraulic structures are not included. Foundation design differs considerably from design of other elements of a structure because of the interaction between the structure and the supporting medium (soil and/or rock).
Information contained herein is directed toward construction usually undertaken on military reservations, although it is sufficiently general to permit its use on a wide variety of construction projects.
This course includes-
- A brief summary of fundamental volumetric – gravimetric relationships.
- Summaries of physical and engineering properties of soil and rock.
- General descriptions of field and laboratory investigations useful for foundation selection and design.
- Design procedures for construction aspects, such as excavated slopes and shoring.
- Empirical design equations and simplified methods of analysis, including design charts, soil property-index correlations, and tabulated data.
- elected design examples to illustrate use of the analytical methods.
Since the user is assumed to have some familiarity with geotechnical engineering, design equations and procedures are presented with a minimum of theoretical background and no derivations. The topics of de watering and groundwater control, pile foundations, and foundations on expansive soils are covered in greater depth in separate technical courses and are only treated briefly in this course.
US Army Corp of Engineers
Review the quiz
before studying the course.
Certificate of completion of the course
This course comes with a multiple-choice quiz. You can view the quiz and take the quiz if you are logged in your account. You can take the quiz for this online PDH course as many times until passed. The passing grade is 70% and above. After you pass the quiz simply follow the page, to pay for the course and print your certificate instantly. A copy of the certificate and receipt for this course will always be in your account.
Acrobat Reader is required to view this document. Click here to download a free copy of Acrobat Reader.