Credit: 12 PDH or CE Hours
Course Fee: $180.00
More concrete is used than any other man-made material in the world. As of 2006, about seven billion cubic meters of concrete are made each year – more than one cubic meter for every person on Earth. Concrete is one of the most important construction materials. It is comparatively economical, easy to make, offers continuity and solidity, and will bond with other materials. The keys to good quality concrete are the raw materials required to make it and the mix design specified in the project specifications. The final strength and appearance of concrete depends on the quality control and placement of the concrete. Proper placement methods must be used to prevent segregation of the concrete. This chapter covers the characteristics of concrete, its ingredients, its mix designs, and how to mix it, as well as the forming, placement, finishing, and curing of concrete. It also covers the placement of reinforcing steel and the types of ties required to ensure that the reinforcing doesn’t move once positioned. Concrete construction joints and the concrete saw are also covered.
Upon completion of this course the student should be able to do the following:
- Define characteristics of concrete.
- Identify ingredients essential for good concrete.
- Calculate concrete mix designs.
- Determine methods and mixing times of concrete.
- Describe the types of concrete forms and their construction.
- Determine the types of ties for and placement of reinforcing steel.
- Determine the location of construction joints.
- Determine proper occasions for using the concrete saw.
- Describe the proper procedures for placing concrete.
- Describe the methods available for consolidating concrete.
- Describe the finishing process for the final concrete surface.
- Determine projects suitable for and lifting methods necessary for precast and tilt-up construction.
Franco. Davati, P.E.
Review the quiz
before studying the course.
Certificate of completion of the course
This course comes with a multiple-choice quiz. You can view the quiz and take the quiz if you are logged in your account. You can take the quiz for this online PDH course as many times until passed. The passing grade is 70% and above. After you pass the quiz simply follow the page, to pay for the course and print your certificate instantly. A copy of the certificate and receipt for this course will always be in your account.
Acrobat Reader is required to view this document. Click here to download a free copy of Acrobat Reader.