Improving Process Heating System Performance - 2nd Edition
Credit: 14 PDH or CE Hours
Course Fee: $42.00
This course describes basic process heating applications and equipment, and outlines opportunities for energy and performance improvements. It also discusses the merits of using a systems approach in identifying and implementing these improvement opportunities. It is not intended to be a comprehensive technical text on improving process heating systems, but serves to raise awareness of potential performance improvement opportunities, provides practical guidelines, and offers suggestions on where to find additional help. This course contains information in the following sections:
Process Heating Basics
For users unfamiliar with the basics of process heating systems, or for users seeking a refresher, a brief discussion of the equipment, processes, and applications is provided.
Performance Improvement Opportunities-Fuel-Based Systems
This section discusses key factors for improving the performance of fuel-based process heating systems. This section is categorized by opportunity type:
- heat generation;
- heat containment;
- heat transfer;
- waste heat recovery;
- enabling technologies
Performance Improvement Opportunities-Electric-Based Systems
This section discusses key factors for improving the performance of electric-based process heating systems. Electric-based solutions and opportunities are described by technology type.
Best Practices Process Heating Performance Improvement Tools
This section describes several resources and tools developed through the best practices initiative within DOE’s Industrial Technologies Program.
Process Heating System Economics
To support the improvement opportunities presented in Sections 2 through 4, this section provides recommendations to financially justify process heating improvement projects.
Where to Find Help
In addition to a comprehensive listing of resources and tools, this section contains a directory of associations and other organizations engaged in enhancing process heating system efficiency.
- Process Heating Basics
- Efficiency Opportunities
- Systems Approach
- Basic Process Heating Operations
- Common Types of Process Heating Systems and Equipment
- Performance Improvement Opportunities-Fuel-Based Systems
- Fuel-Based Process Heating Equipment Classification
- Efficiency Opportunities for Fuel-Based Heating Systems
- Performance Improvement Opportunities-Electric-Based Systems
- Types of Electric-Based Process Heating Systems
- Arc Furnaces
- Electric Infrared Processing
- Electron-Beam Processing
- Induction Heating and Melting
- Laser Processing
- Microwave Processing
- Plasma Processing
- Radio-Frequency Processing
- Resistance Heating and Melting
- Ultraviolet Processing
- BestPractices Process Heating Performance Improvement Tools
- Process Heating Assessment and Survey Tool (PHAST)
- NOx Emission Assessment Tool (NxEAT)
- Combined Heat and Power (CHP) System Application Tool for the Process Heating Industry
- Process Heating System Economics
- Understanding Corporate Priorities
- Measuring the Dollar Impact of Efficiency
- Presenting the Financial Benefits of Efficiency
- Relating Efficiency to Corporate Prioritie
US Department of Energy Review the quiz
before studying the course.
Certificate of completion of the course
This course comes with a multiple-choice quiz. You can view the quiz and take the quiz if you are logged in your account. You can take the quiz for this online PDH course as many times until passed. The passing grade is 70% and above. After you pass the quiz simply follow the page, to pay for the course and print your certificate instantly. A copy of the certificate and receipt for this course will always be in your account.
Acrobat Reader is required to view this document. Click here to download a free copy of Acrobat Reader.